Elburn, Ill., has been awarded a membership in Union Pacific's Train Town USA Registry as part of the railroad's year-long 150th anniversary celebration.
Elburn received an official Train Town USA resolution signed by Union Pacific Chairman Jim Young, and Elburn's historical connection with Union Pacific will be featured at www.up150.com.
"We are proud to recognize Elburn as we commemorate our railroad's sesquicentennial celebration and growing up together," said Wes Lujan, Union Pacific director - Public Affairs for Illinois. "Union Pacific has been part of the country's fabric throughout the railroad's 150-year history. That bond between us and the nearly 7,300 communities we serve continues to strengthen.
"Our shared heritage with Elburn is a source of pride as we remember our past while serving and connecting our nation for years to come."
Train service began through the Village of Elburn with the completion of the rail line in 1854 by the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad, before the town was incorporated. It was used for the transportation of goods as well as commuting purposes. A second main line track was completed in 1899 by the Chicago & North Western Railway.
One of the largest customers of the railroad in Elburn was the livestock yards, taking animals from the Village depot to the City of Chicago stockyards. As years passed, the livestock yards closed and then the depot closed after commuter service was discontinued.
Union Pacific merged with the C&NW in 1995. In 2005, a third main line track was constructed and the following year Metra reinstated commuter service between Elburn and Chicago.