Poplar Bluff, Mo., has been awarded a membership in Union Pacific's Train Town USA Registry as part of the railroad's year-long 150th anniversary celebration.
Poplar Bluff received an official Train Town USA resolution signed by Union Pacific Chairman Jim Young, and Poplar Bluff's historical connection with Union Pacific will be featured at www.up150.com.
"We are proud to recognize Poplar Bluff as we commemorate our railroad's sesquicentennial celebration and growing up together," said Ben Jones, Union Pacific director - Public Affairs for Missouri and Kansas. "Union Pacific has been part of the country's fabric throughout the railroad's 150-year history. That bond between us and the nearly 7,300 communities we serve continues to strengthen.
"Our shared heritage with Poplar Bluff is a source of pride as we remember our past while serving and connecting our nation for years to come."
The main line through Poplar Bluff was completed in 1873 by the Arkansas Branch of the St. Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad.
A frame depot was built 1873. The depot was replaced in 1890 with a structure that burned shortly after completion. The railroad used old boxcars for baggage and express facilities and operated a ticket office in the Crown Hotel at 504 S. Broadway. The present depot was built in 1910. The elaborate staircase going to the depot was built at a cost of $3,000.
The railroad built a roundhouse on the property next to the depot and all servicing of trains through town was done there.
The St. Louis and Iron Mountain and Missouri Pacific were reorganized in 1917 and became the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. The Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific merged in 1982.