Union Pacific Senior Vice President Bob Turner presents Train Town certificate to Chickasha Mayor Hank Ross.
The city grew rapidly and a magnificent passenger Depot opened in 1912 to a schedule of eight trains a day. In the early years, there were three passenger depots in our city with traffic from the Frisco Railroad, the Sante Fe Railroad, and the Rock Island Railroad. Two of these depots remain and are serving other purposes today.
With the rapid growth of the Rock Island Railroad, Chickasha became home to a 4-track train yard, a locomotive repair shop, a roundtable and a large freight facility with a Railroad Express Office. Through aquisition and purchase, the Union Pacific Railroad became owner of the trackage and surrounding property. In the following years the Union Pacific expanded the yard and greatly improved the track.
The Rock Island Depot was acquired from the Union Pacific Railroad in the early 1980s by the Chickasha Antique Auto Club, and with $1 million in grants and private money, the Depot was returned to its original grandure.
Chickasha was founded and built by the railroads, and today, the Union Pacific Railroad is a strong economic contributer to our town. The City and the Chamber of Commerce are very pleased to have UP as our neighbor and partner.