(L to R:) Union Pacific Director - Public Affairs, Kansas and Missouri Ben Jones and Elaine Horn, Mayor of Sedalia.
The main line through Sedalia was constructed in 1863 by the Pacific Railroad, forerunner of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. In 1866, the railroad built large stockyards, followed by a roundhouse and repair shop. The Missouri Pacific shops were constructed in 1904 on 120 acres given to the railroad by the city of Sedalia and were the largest such railroad repair facilities west of the Mississippi River. The Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific merged in 1982.